From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 2010 08:50:11 -0400
The main source for my honey data was:
The Chemistry of Bees
Joel Loveridge, School of Chemistry, University of Bristol
http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/webprojects2001/loveridge/index.html

* * *

My friend Lesli writes:

Right, but the question isn't whether, but how much.  If one's dietary laws
forbid one to eat a product with more than 1/60th part bee spit, how much
bee spit is in honey? Less than 1/60, I'm sure, but I've never found a
source that quantifies it.

Well, taking my numbers, honey is 99% sugar and water. But I am afraid we are mixing science and aesthetics. With food, this is inevitable, of course. We eat to live (based on scientifically verifiable needs) but we eat to enjoy (based on subjective values such as food preferences, prejudices, and religious prohibitions).

In some cultures, food is premasticated for children and invalids. In other cultures, food cannot be eaten unless it is blessed by special individuals. If I take my food, swallow it, regurgitate it, and put it on a plate, who will eat that? No one will ask what percentage is spit and what percentage is coq au vin.

That's honey, folks! 100% spit up!