From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 12:07:03 -0500
  REGARDING           RE> Diazinon

I realize that diazinon is a dangerous pesticide to use around beehives, but
sometimes there seems to be no alternative.  In southern Michigan, we have a
medium sized ant species (black and brown) that builds large hills, about
18-20 inches high and up to four feet in diameter.  These ants are marauders,
and collect anything they can find in the vicinity.  They have gotten into
some of my hives, weakening and eventually killing them.  I see long lines of
ants going towards the hives and leaving with bees, larvae and stored pollen
pellets.  The only thing I have found that works is to dig a hole into the
center of the anthill and put a tablespoon of diazinon directly inside, then
cover it up again.  The ants are dead within a week, and I hope the burial of
the pesticide will keep it safe from the bees.  Nevertheless, I do hate to use
it, because of concern that the eventual leaching of the chemical might enter
neighboring streams.  I only can hope that it will be denatured by then.