From:
Merry Makela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 1991 17:53:33 CDT
I'm a real novice at this but I like my technique for cleaning
beeswax cause I sorta made it up...  more likely I stole it
from somebody and just have forgotten.

Put bees wax in water in a microwavable container - preferabley
an expendable one.  get a clean wide mouth jar or can and stretch
a knee high nylon stocking over the top so the toe part acts as
a filter.  An old pair of pantyhose may also be used.  Heat the
water & wax mixture in the microwave til the wax melts.  Pour
water and wax through the nylon into the jar.  Remove the nylon
with the impurities.  Let the water & wax mixture cool undisturbed.
You may have to break the wax block to remove it after it has
hardened.  If you have a lot of wax to clean use a queen size
pair of pantyhose.  The wax will be fairly clean but will smell
like honey and be yellow in color if you use new comb wax.  the
older the wax the darker it will be.  You may get cleaner wax
if you repeat the process since more of the soluable impurities
will remain in the water fraction.

Good luck.

Merry Makela                  |   [log in to unmask]
Knowledge Engineering Lab     |   Department of Entomology
Texas A&M University          |