From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 14:58:18 -0500
Jerry Stroope correctly told Mr.. Thorpe that all honey produced is subject
to the NHB assessment, and that small producers can apply for an exemption.
However, one should not assume that the NHB is going to hound any small
beekeeper for not paying or applying for an exemption.

I know as a fact that the NHB does not even try to enforce these provisions.
The money collected would not be worth their efforts, and a lot of ill will
would be generated.  They are well aware of both factors.
On the other hand, in my experience the NHB personnel are VERY, VERY helpful
to any beekeeper, large or small, dues paying or not, who calls with
inquiries.  If they have information, they are quick to share it.  If they
don't have the information requested they are very willing to provide
helpful references.
I happen to own Ross Rounds, Inc.  Early this year one of my commercial
customers called with a question I couldn't answer.  I called the NHB and
they shared with me their wealth of information on the subject...and
referred me to another person concerning an item of detail they did not
have.  He was also very helpful.  While I've never paid the NHB a cent, this
year I will gladly send them around $50, which will be my one cent a pound.
In my opinion, any hobbyist or sideliner beekeeper looking for ideas on how
to sell honey would be well-served to visit http://www.nhb.com.  If you want
more information, call them.  I think you will find them very helpful and
I'll be astounded if they even ask if you pay your assessment.  On the other
hand, if you find their information useful and profitable I'm certain they
will accept your "contribution", and it will probably be a bargain.
Lloyd