From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 20:56:43 -0800
Hi Steve & All,

> I am hoping that someone on the list has information on the
> optimal storage conditions for package bees.

50 TO 60 degrees F.

> I am sure that temperature
> plays a role as well as feeding the bees on the outside of the cluster
> that are removed from the feeder can and can't access moisture as well as
> those bees that are in the center.

Yes, it is a good idea to spray 50/50 sugar syrup on the bees in the
packages upon arrival, spraying on of plain water periodically is also
advisable.

> I understand that the faster the bees
> get into the hive the better it is for both the beekeeper and the bees.
> What I am trying to get information on is how long, and under what
> conditions can I store bees in the package while waiting for fellow
> beekeepers to pick them up and hive them.

Package bees were developed to survive for up to five to seven days, But can
survive a little longer if treated respectfully. Keep them in a cool (50 to
60 degrees F.), dry, dark location, out of the sun. never let them over heat
(At 80 degrees F. bees will soon die). Explaining these requirements to new
beekeepers will help make them better beekeepers.
  .  ..
c(((([
Keith Malone
Chugiak, Alaska USA