From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 1995 00:35:00 GMT
/ . --- start quotes --- / .

<>Date:         Sat, 25 Feb 1995 15:39:35 -0700
<>From: Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
<>Subject:      Re: Your help needed to protect Hawai'i's honey bees
<>
<>On Sat, 25 Feb 1995, Kevin Roddy wrote:
<>
<>Some Hawaiians are (cynically) mostly interested in getting an advantage
<>over New Zealand in the lucrative queen business by using an antequated,
<>but convenient law and trying to recruit support by deliberate
<>misrepresentation.
<>
/ . --- end of quotes --- / .

Hello Allen,

   This may be true, I am also a cynic, but would you want to bet your
bees on it, or just someone else's bees?. Give it time an you may well
have all the problems in the bee world without open boarders in the US
or bringing in bees from other countries. And what is so evil about
beekeepers trying to protect their own interests, I am sure that the
New Zealand beekeepers are just as interested in the $$$ they can make
by selling bees as the few Hawaiians who ship bees. I am also sure there
are more then just bee shippers who would like to see Hawaiian bee's
protected from the buggy man.

I myself am an open boarder person, but the facts are that there are
some bee problems you may get and not get the solution until its a
little late. I personally have seen way too many yards of bees go
from gang busters to DEAD, not sick, dead. PMS, mites, your guess
is as good a my own. But dead yards with hundreds of lbs of good bee
feed on each hive, young queens, good experienced beekeepers, hives dead
by the 100's, 200's..Now maybe we should open all the boarders, most of
my bees are dead anyway.

   When Canada opens its boarders to the United States I will lobby
Washington to open the US boarders to bees from around the world,
including New Zealand. What could be more fair? You know all the bad
stuff in the World is here in the US, you don't know what you will get
from New Zealand except they for sure they will have NO genetic
protection from the things that are slipping across your boarders from
the south each season with the boarders closed.

                            ttul Andy-