From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 17:46:36 EST
In a message dated 98-02-17 01:34:31 EST, [log in to unmask] (Patrick
& Mary Caldwell) write:

<< A question about medication:  what's the best way to mix Terramycin into
 patties?  All of the directions say to mix a 3 lb. can of Crisco with 3 lbs.
 of powdered sugar along with the small package of Terramycin.  >>

    I don't know of anyone still using solid shortening, which is a royal pain
to mix. Use ordinary vegetable oil, which is liquid at room temperature, mix
with granulated sugar.    I mix the terra and sugar together dry until well
mixed, then add oil as needed. Try not to breathe the dust.

<<I plan to feed the package medicated (Fumidil) sugar syrup upon arrival;
should I also feed the established colony Fumidil as well, even if they have
honey stores and have been out foraging?>>

    I wouldn't waste Fumidil on the established colony, if they are healthy
and active. And the package bees should have been medicated by the package
producer, so a repeat is a bit of overkill.

<<  What about feeding pollen substitute to the established hive (I have
already planned to feed the package with Bee Pro)?>>

    That's a question that needs a local answer, because pollen supplies vary
across the US. It would be superfluous to feed pollen here in the spring, as
we have abundant resources of high quality pollen, but only local guys can
tell you about your area.

   <<Do I need to be concerned with robbing (the stronger hive vs. my new
package)?>>

    Keep the new hive entrance small until they develop a bit. If there is a
good nectar flow, there will be no problem. If you have a week of rain, the
strong hive could possibly jump the weaker one. I've had nucs robbed out, when
placed in a yard with strong hives, during gray weather. I had thought about
entrance reducers, but decided against it as it was spring and I did not
expect a week of rain.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm