From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 2009 19:40:38 -0800
>"Problems can not be caused by pesticides & fungicides because we are not

> seeing the proof to support the hypothesis. "
>
> The truth is the science will not confirm for sure that today's pesticides
> & fungicides by their selves or in combination are the source of reported
> bee
> problems in certain areas or exonerate the pesticides & fungicides.

Bob, I've heard a lot of presentations of late, and read a lot of research
papers.  I can't think of a single scientist, even those in the employ of
pesticide companies, who does not understand that pesticides hurt bees (OK,
Paul may be the exception).

Indeed, most researchers strongly suspect pesticide and miticide effects are
causing problems.

We have had considerable discussion on the List about whether seed treatment
of corn and sunflowers with imidacloprid or clothianidin has been the cause
of CCD (although I can never tell if you believe that CCD exists or not).
To date, there is virtually no evidence to support that hypothesis.  Please
note, in those discussions we were speaking of seed treatment only, by only
two pesticides, on only two crops, and whether it resulted in massive colony
collapses.

That said, there are clearly other pesticide issues, especially with
fungicides, and likely with neonics under certain circumstances.  Recent yet
to be published research suggests that exposure to some pesticides can
effect transgenerational epigenetic immune function.  I suspect that this
may become a hot topic.

Bob, I feel that it does a disservice to the research community to paint the
scientists with the broad black or white brushstrokes that you express.

Randy Oliver