From:
Eunice Wonnacott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:19:43 -0400
J.F. Hensler wrote:

> I threw together my own grafting wax last season after giving away the=20
> commercial stuff....... It attracted dirt, cats, and was difficult to=20
> use.
> =20
> Easy recipe: Melt 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 oz. Beeswax in 1 qt. Mineral oil =
> stirring gently and constantly.  Let cool. That's it.
> We did both notch and angle grafts, laid on the grafting wax, then =
> wrapped the join in plastic grafting tape.=20
> If you want an exceptional skin balm, just add four or five opened =
> vitamin E caps as well. The balm works the same way on skin as it does =
> on grafts... it keeps the moisture in. Hands stay soft. Scion wood =
> doesn't dry out and die.
> Christy Hensler
> Skip & Christy Hensler
> THE ROCK GARDEN
> Newport, WA=20
> http://www.povn.com/rock/

In the days when I lived on an apple producing farm, my Father and
Grandfather made grafting wax with beeswax, resin and (I think) linseed
oil, but I am not sure of the proportions.   I can get the recipe from a
brother, I think.  I know the resin was an integral part of the mix.
They melted everything together in a double boiler, old cotton cloth was
saturated with the mix, then torn into one inch wide strips and wrapped
around the graft.  It was flexible, waterproof, and as I remember,
adhered nicely to itself , thus easily staying in place.

Please respond if you want me to pursue the correct proportions of this
recipe.

Eunice Wonnacott