From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 06:50:30 -0500
Hello All,
Information on SHB from Florida Beekeepers list post.
Bob

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Normally you don't find SHB larva in hives with out the hive having
> something happening . What I mean is normally you don't have SHB larva in
small amounts in the hive at all times. It seems that when you disturb the
hive and SHB are present in the area or in the hive. That disturbence is
what   set them off so they then need to survive so the start to lay eggs in
masses   so that the more they have, The more likely they are to make it to
adults.
More eggs = more larva = more SHB adults

> With the right condition =Temp., Humidity, Food, are the biggest player in
the % of egg to adult.. 98% of the eggs layed well make it to adults.
Florida temp. and humidity are ideal most of the time and the beehives
have just the right foods.( brood,pollen,honey,dead bees,). Brood is the
best   protein for them to raise on, plus the hive is warm all year long.

> As for Bobs trick, Yes I do think that if any SHB larva where to fall
> through the wire they would drowned in the water. But I'm not sure that
the   SHB lays eggs all the time it in the hive. If this where true we would
have   larva coming out all the time, Which I haven't seen in any of the
hives we've   looked at. We have found that when you look in to a hive with
low # of SHB   that sometimes they start to lay small cluster of eggs, the
bees can   remove the larvae in this situation if the hive is strong.

>    Any disturbance:
>
>    Swarming
>    Splitting
>    Pulling honey
>    Bears damage
>    Varroa mites
>    Sometimes just working the bees
>
> All seem to cause the SHB to lay eggs.
>
> This year when the rains started  so did the SHB. We had not had any
> problems till the rains started, Then it was like 1998 all over again.
>
> With care you can get the upper hand on them. We have had to treat the
> ground with Guard Star and with Check Mite strips placed in the right spot
we
> got control in the hive. You do have to make sure that any equipment that
has
> SHB larvae or eggs is cleaned so that they are unable to hatch. You can
wash
> frames with water to remove most the larvae & eggs. The honey that's
capped
> will not be hurt by washing . Then you can put the super or hive on a
strong
> hive to let them clean it up. Freezing works also, 48 hours is long
enough.
> If the frame has a lot of SHB larvae in it just submerge it in a tank of
> water for 10-15 min. they will all come out. If  the water has nothing
> floating in it they will drown. Keeping the honey house clean is very
> important also, Bleach works good on the floors.
>
> Thank you.
> David Westervelt
Bob added:
Ps. You can jar a observation hive with SHB in it and they will begin to lay
eggs.