From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 2015 12:42:17 -0500
THE TOXIC LEGACY OF RACHEL CARSON
by Maureen Mullarkey
4/27/15

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/mullarkey/2015/04/the-toxic-legacy-of-rachel-carson

Thanks,  I was hoping to avoid opening that can of worms.

Seems to me the whole goal of the EPA is to avoid exactly such issues in the future.

Interestingly enough  in manufacturing we have ISO 9000.  I am sure all of you have seen signs on buildings and such proudly proclaiming certification.   Whats interesting to me is that I worked at GM in the early 90's  when they were starting the push.  It was "sold" to us as a way to avoid litigation.  The claim was made that if you were ISO 9000 certified,  it showed that you were complying with know "best management practices"  and would be exempt from most litigation as long as you were following those standards.  Much of that suggested because of the Asbestos lawsuits.  At the time Asbestos was widely used,  it was considered a miracle product for fire prevention.  Everyone wanted it, and used it.   The customers were happy. Manufacturers were meeting a demand.  And now,  they have been sued into oblivion.  Not like Ciagarettes,  where they KNEW it was a problem,  and even manipulate nicotine levels,   but just that it was even out there and someone in a shipyard may have ground it up.

The goal of the ISO 9000 was to stop that type of lawsuits.  It was quickly dropped as a perk,  just like now we sue the EPA for doing what we asked them to do.

Charles