From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2012 21:16:02 -0400
> This problem is solvable, but apparently everyone has decided it isn't

Not I. As I said, there is a very real possibility of using RNA interference to combat this and a variety of other agricultural pests. But people have to get over their fear of genetic engineering. Introducing customized RNA into bee colonies poses minimal risks. These are very small molecules, which can do nothing on their own.

Cells use RNA as message carriers to relay various instructions. RNA can be coded to stimulate immune response, interfere with pest reproduction, or simply jam communication altogether (in the pest's cells). But such technique is only plausible using the vast resources of a large stake holder, hence the project has moved into Monsanto's hands for now.

If they can make it work against varroa, they can make it work against the myriad of other insects, arachnids, etc. that interfere with productive agriculture. And, that is still the tip of the iceberg. There are many applications in human health as well. We should support this effort. Of course, Monsanto is in it to make money; but a good idea should be worth some money!

Pete