Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 10:30:52 GMT+0200
Hi Dave/All

Dave - you describe a super that has become unpleasant smelling due
to being left with I suspect some residual honey in it.

What you describe is a typical fermentation reaction. The beehive has
a number of dominant yeasts in it (Candida apiculata, apis, Torulops
etc) as well as any gunk the bees dragged their feet through in the
flowers etc. I have assayed the microbes on the brood surface and
found all sorts of things, including Candida albicans.(all of these
yeasts can be human pathogens, as can Saccharomyces the brewing
yeast)

If you leave honey that is uncapped, the wild yeasts soon ferment it
as it's draws moisture and can then no longer retard microbial
growth.

I would recoment rinsing the combs in water, then letting them dry.
You will find that honey from this super will tend to ferment more
easily as most hive yeasts are spore forming and hence leave spores
impregnated in the wax - if conditions are ever right again these
will become active.

Keep well

Garth

PS - the problem could also be beetles.
Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
Eastern Cape Prov.
South Africa

Time = Honey

After careful consideration, I have decided that if I am ever a V.I.P
the I. may not stand for important.
(rather influential, ignorant, idiotic, intelectual, illadvised etc)