From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 20:14:48 -0400
Allen Dick wrote
 On 26 Jul 99, at 21:09, Tom Elliott wrote:
> I have several times removed a queen and, since I read that bees when
> rearing emergency queens will use older larvae, I have gone back in after
> 4 days and removed all capped cells.  Then no larvae over 24 hours old has
> a chance.  I always find capped cells on the 4th day.  This suggests that
> larvae older than 24 hours were used.  That is in the Anchorage, Alaska
> area.

I have been at EAS for a week, so apologise for the late 'pick up' of
this thread.
        At last another observant beekeeper in Tom from Alaska. It doesn't
matter where you are, bees will use older larvae for emergency
queens.
        The skeptics, who possibly haven't examined their hives closely
after 'walk away splits' have been started, really should take the
time and watch what happens. Shouting the odds time after time won't
change the facts, emergency queens are junk and will be quickly
supersceded.
        Brother Adam, who so many revere, wrote in his book "Beekeeping at
Buckfast Abbey" that he never found a good superscedure queen, he
doesn't mention emergency queens [beneath his dignity?].

 > Allen Dick wrote:- are to a man, sideliners and people who are willing to do
 >a lot of work, suffer considerable inconvenience, and overlook
>massive failures of purchased queens to achieve their ideals.
Not sure where he buys his queens or where these other 'sideliners'
are, but we certainly don't get these volumes of complaints, and the
odd complaint often is because the customer 'got it wrong'.
 Before someone starts yelling about 'profit motives' we sell all the
queens we raise without having to resort to underhand tactics.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H1.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre, Owner
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>