From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2008 06:16:44 EST

[log in to unmask] writes:

How can  the size of the honey bee be related in any way to
the size of the "natural  flora of the region" if
a) the honey bee is not native to the region;  and
b) flowers come in all sizes, being utilized by
creatures from the  tiniest insects to birds and bats, etc. ??

A few generations ago it was noticed that bees in SE Europe, the Caucasus,
had longer tongues than most other honeybees and so were able to make use  of
different flora with longer nectar tubes, especially some of the clover  family
.  Russians and Germans both had breeding programmes to  'improve' other
strains by incorporating this characteristic and using it  elsewhere.  I am told
(Sue Cobey I think, but I could be wrong) that the  breeding was successful but
the bees were useless.

Chris