From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 2010 13:06:48 +0700
> From:    randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>

> Or,  since the queen lays eggs in cells that are cleaned and prepared by
> workers, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there is a "ready to
> receive and egg" pheromone that the workers tag the cleaned cell with.

I remember one time I left an excluder between united boxes in the
spring. This was before varroa, and I kept one drone frame in most
hives year around. Needed drones for spreading the "right" genetics to
my neighbour beeks, and also reduced burr comb when bees didn't feel
the need to make drone cells everywhere.

There was an old Carnica queen in the bottom box, I probably wasn't
sure if there was any virgin in the box I sat on top so left excluder
there. The top box had a drone comb with honey, bottom box had only
worker comb. When I got back to that yard next time the drone comb in
top box was cleaned out. I took excluder away and went through the
other hives in the yard. For some reason I had to go back to that
hive, to get full honey frames for another hive or something.

What I found after maybe 15 minutes without excluder was the queen
desperately laying in the drone frame in top box. She didn't look at
me when I lifted out the frame and watched her. She just kept on
laying eggs, cell by cell in that drone frame totally unaware of
anything... Then I realized that workers can decide a lot about what
the queen is doing. This was early in spring, and that drone frame was
far away from her brood nest in bottom box.

--
P-O