From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2002 14:04:30 -0500
Hello Jim and All,
All pesticide use carries risk but I believe Jim is painting the wrong
picture about Checkmite. I will try to explain.

As a grower and at times uses pesticides  I see a big difference in spraying
a large orchard  with an organophosphate  and simply installing a strip in a
beehive. Last week I did some Apple tree spraying and as usual problems with
the sprayer. Ended up getting spray on me even with safeguards.
 I do not see that kind of risk with one Checkmite strip. As I posted
earlier on Bee-L my partner and I do not touch the checkmite strip but use
a 20 inch pair of needles nose pliers sold by Harbour freight.

Again as I posted before on Bee-L the EPA's concern about the section 18 was
not the safety issue as much as  the fact that the  strip would be disposed
of properly  when the treatment was done as too much organophosphate is
getting into the ground . They did not want the checkmite strip tossed on
the ground at the end of the treatment period.

> All chemicals are not created equal.  Claiming that experience with
> herbicides, antibiotics, and other types of pesticides prepares one for
> things like Checkmite is like claiming that ownership of a kitten
qualifies
> one to be a circus lion tamer.

Had to chuckle here as there are MANY chemicals used which are worse than
coumaphos used in agriculture.

 >They admit that there IS no safe way to handle   this class of chemicals.

This is totally untrue. One method of spraying used by orchards is with a
tractor with a special cab with the only air comming in through a built into
the cab resperator. I saw one of those demonstrated in Springfield ,
Missouri. Several are in use in Missouri.

> They are readily absorbed through the skin, but there is no type of glove
> that can protect you.  The stuff goes right through all available types
> of protective gear.

Getting any type of pesticide on the skin is bad but I assure you there are
clothing which will protect from sprays but they are hot and  awkward to
use.
 My catalog lists many pieces of apparel for organophosphate spraying.

Jim wrote:
> ...and note that the beekeeper (the one expected to "handle" the
> chemical) is the one taking the biggest risk.

I see a huge risk when using organophosphates in spray form to the sprayer
but see a very minor risk to the beekeeper with a checkmite strip UNLESS the
beekeeper puts his "Skoal" in his mouth with the same bare hand he installs
the checkmite strip. You laugh but beekeepers helpers in Florida were
getting sick and it was discovered they were installing Apistan strips with
bare hands and putting Skoal in their mouth with the same hand.

Seriously all labels should be in Spannish also.

The rest of agriculture realized that organophosphates were a very
> bad idea years ago.

Agriculture did not like giving up the powerful organophosphates to spray
with . The EPA is afraid of ground water contamination. Now those crops are
grown in Mexico using organophosphates and shipped in for our use. All
banned chemicals in the U.S. are in use in Mexico according to the source I
talked to in doing this post.

I wish the world could survive without chemicals but am a realist. Thanks
for the post Jim. I am only trying to point out a few points after a
lifetime of using pesticides.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison