From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:18:09 -0500
Kurt said:

If I understand Bob's argument, then his logic is basically this: because we
can't really guarantee the purity of a given product, then we should make no
real effort to do so, and offer no distinction to those who actually try.

We need to look at the end product!  The end product is what needs to be
looked at. How hard will it be for China to say all their honey is organic
and use the organic label? Can we prove otherwise? Can we prove any honey
with the organic label is not organic?

The organic food industry was estimated at 9 billion dollars last year  in
the U.S. I was told ( and growing!)

Kurt said:
Certified organic standards are quite rigid,

Rigid? I  place bees on many farms. I find one location which meets the
certified organic standard. I get certified.
The whole system is on the honor system. If I was dishonest I could sell my
whole crop as "organic honey".

Certified organic in my opinion does not apply to  honey.

Many organic farmers agree!

ALL HONEY IS SUPPOSED TO BE PURE HONEY WITH ZERO CONTAMINENTS!

Honey is on a three year watch by the FDA because of the China problem. I
have been told all honey checked so far from U.S. producers passes with
flying colors (except contaminated Chinese honey brought in illegally).

Do we really need to sell the organic honey hype to the U.S. consumer to
simply get a higher price for our honey?

Instead of putting a label that the honey is supposed to be organic  why not
have the FDA do random checks for purity?

 Thousands of pounds of contaminated Chinese honey has been sold and
consumed in the U.S. already because those in charge of inspecting our food
supply dropped the ball.

Are these the people which will police organic honey?

Always remember the antibiotic found in Chinese honey was found by accident.
Does anyone really know how long antibiotic contaminated chinese honey has
been coming into the U.K. , Canada or the U.S. undetected?   Hmmm.

Check out the article "Tainted Chinese Honey " on page 41 of the Oct. Bee
Culture! Excellent!

Bob