From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 09:00:02 +0000
Sr. Catherine Duffy asks:
> Would somebody please be good enough to tell me how I can raise 12
> laying queens
This is such a broad question that I would not even attempt an
answer.  My recommendation would be to get a book on the topic.
_Raising_Queen_Bees_ by Roger morse, _Contemporary_Queen_Rearing_ by
Harry Laidlaw was edited and reprinted last year by Laidlaw and Paige
- the title changed a bit, _Breeding_Super_Bees_ by Steve Tabor, and
for a simpler versior of queen rearing see the raising queens section
of _Honey_in_the_Comb_ by Eugene Killion.

> ... the best way to prepare Nuclei to over-winter these queens?
Again a very broad question.  Prepare the nucs early enough to assure
they have strong populations going into winter, ample stores, perhaps
put them atop Snelgrove boards over established colonies, wrap 'em.
You gave no location, so this may not be the best advice for your
location.

Again, for such broad based questions I recommend hitting the books,
not the list.  Or contact a local mentor or association in your area.

Aaron Morris - thinking you can't beat a good book!