From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2017 16:22:23 +0000
"Unfortunately, in North America, such reproductive isolation is often
difficult to achieve, due to the widespread movement of hives and packages."

I have seen winter loss figures in Europe that are much lower than we see in the US.  Why is this the case?  Do they not migrate so much like we do in the US and that slows transmission of viruses?  Is our problem in significant part due to almond pollination?  Have they just had mites longer than we have had them and their bees have adapted better?  Are the Europeans controlling mites better than we are?  What are the winter losses like for our friends in Canada who do not go to almonds because of the border nonsense and have worse winters than we have?  I would sure like to hear some comments from someone like Ian Steppler on his experienced losses and why he has what he has.

Someone is going to respond we use more pesticides in the US which is true.  However, I live in a virtual pesticide free area as we are mainly forests and large lot residential.  The closest corn or bean fields to my house are three miles away and all located in a little patch to the NE.  In other directions you need to go eight miles or more to find a row crop field.  Yet local losses by many people who I consider knowledgeable  bee keepers are sky high.  Last winter 50% plus.  My next door neighbor lost three out of three.  I think I have a much better mite control program than anyone else around here and my losses are low so far.

I will make one comment.  Some of the more knowledgeable locals and I are coming to the conclusion that a low early August alcohol wash is very misleading and causes fall under treatment.  Randy's on line mite model really brings this point home.  It is amazing how a 1% August 1 alcohol wash can turn into a dead colony in the next few months due to being over run with mites.  Locally we see the biggest problem with the super strong hive Aug 1 often dying from too many mites a few months later.  Now, which colony goes out on robbing trips and brings home lots of unwanted guests?  Some dink or your strongest hive?

Dick