From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:51:59 -0400
Bob & Liz wrote:

> "There is no reason to believe that the varroa mite cannot develop
> resistance against acarcides of simple origin or simple molecules like
> formic acid"  (Milani 2001). Milani goes on to explain why varroa will
> eventually develop resistance to formic acid.

Which is why Medhat Nzar's IPM methods are so good. By alternating the
treatment (as well as breeding for tolerance) you get the best of all
possible worlds. It lets you use known treatments into the far future.

Medhat spoke at our Annual Meeting here in Maine. His approach works and
is backed up by good science. If you have the opportunity to invite him
as a speaker at your meetings, I strongly suggest you do. He has a lot
to offer. It is an approach that takes a few years, but if run on a
state to state or regional level, could do wonders for the industry. New
Jersey is fortunate to have him now.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME