From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2016 09:20:52 -0400
Over the past year or so, there has been a series of puzzling but overt
attempts to phoo-phoo Nosema as having negligible impact on gestalt colony
health and welfare.

Here is yet another paper showing that Nosema has tangible and significant
negative impact on colonies.

http://nature.com/articles/srep22042

Full text, so no reason not to read it.

In the early 2000s, I sang the praises of Fumagillin to beekeepers as a way
to increase both spring build up, and hence, numbers of splits that could be
made, and honey crop tonnage.  Nosema apis was mostly untreated then, and
beekeepers misdiagnosed it, blaming queens, weather, anything but their own
poor husbandry.   Fumagillin was seen as "expensive", and my point was that
it had a very clear and quick payback that was easy to see when comparing
groups as small as a dozen colonies each for "test" and "control".

We still lack a treatment or control for Nosema ceranae with the same
"punch" Fumgallin delivered to Nosema apis,  but we certainly won't get
anyone funded to work on anything unless there is a recognition of the
debilitating effects of Nosema ceranae.