From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:11:25 -0500
Mike said:
> There is a lot of this happening many states are using the economic down
> turn as an excuse to get rid of people, positions and programs.

Beekeeping is always on the chopping block when budget cuts happen.

The major beekeeping states will most likely always keep a beekeeping
inspection program. States with a small number of hives/beekeepers are
always in peril.

Missouri does not even have a bee inspector and our largest outfit runs
8,000 hives. We do have a person which can do our section 18's and the
authority to hire a beekeeper to inspect hives returning from almonds but
*we* pay his fees.

On the other hand Illinois beekeepers are trying to get an inspector for
each county and make its beekeepers get a permit when they move hives from
one county to the next. There are no commercial migratory beeks in Illinois
that I know of so only effects the hobby and very small sideline beeks I
understand.

The Illinois bee inspector at a meeting I attended asked me my thoughts on
what they were working on. I said I keep bees in many counties in Missouri
and I am not about to get an inspection and permit to move  into the next
county. I would agree to annual inspections or twice a year but I move bees
whenever I feel the need . Across state lines inspection yes. Across county
lines inspection and permit no.

 Maybe his
> work to get that $200k from the legislature ruffled some feathers
> somewhere
> up the ladder.

200K is major funding for a very minor beekeeping state. Mike could be right
as the cause for his dismissal. Of course lack of funding is the usual
excuse and hard to fight against.

Before WV beeks get their feelings hurt Missouri is also considered a minor
beekeeping industry state. All of the larger beekeepers in Missouri are
within minutes of the border of several states. Only three send bees to
almonds.
It has been fifteen years since we had a bee inspector which did
inspections. We really have not missed the inspector but I guess the hobby
beeks have.

Most funding for beekeeping comes from the states.

Nebraska passed a law each beekeeper has to pay fifty cents a hive per year.
I saw the list once and had to chuckle as i recognized a few of those names
on the list. The state has to take the beekeepers word for number of hives
as no real way to verify.

I do not believe the state of Kansas has replaced Gary Ross the former state
inspector since Gary retired and several commercial beekeepers run bees in
Kansas ( but I might be wrong).

bob