From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 2015 07:22:44 -0400
Last night, doing research on a different topic, I stumbled upon this:

AN AGITATOR IN THE HIVE

A beekeeper who claims to have found a way to get the honey and not the stings sent for me to look at his device. He told me how he intended to work it for all the honey he wanted, and leave some to sell; and as I found he had gotten hold of a new idea in beekeeping I took a photograph of his contrivance. I will say, however, that I do not advise its use except for those who are afraid of getting stung.

The device, as will be seen by the photograph, consists of a barrel set upon a stand high enough to allow a pail to be put under it to catch the honey as it runs out of the barrel. Thru the cover of the barrel runs a bent iron rod. To the bottom and along the sides of it, at intervals, are cross-pieces of iron with sharp edges to allow them to cut thru the comb inside the barrel and release the honey which flows to the bottom of the barrel thru a wire screen or strainer, and which is drawn off thru the faucet.

The iron rod, or pipe, as will be seen, is built so as to allow it to be turned like a crank, as it lakes considerable force to turn  the knives in the comb after the bees have built around it and sealed it in with propolis. The inside fixtures may be easily understood from the following diagram, from which the device can be made if it is wanted.

[Illustration; caption reads: Combined hive and extractor—the middleman cut out]

The bees fasten their combs to the inside of the barrel, and the revolving knives reach far enough to leave a space of six inches between them and the sides of the barrel so as not to cut the comb loose and allow it to fall and drown the bees, but to shave off the cappings and allow the honey to run down thru the strainer, where it is drawn off as needed.

The entrance for the bees being on the opposite side of the barrel from the faucet allows the operator to draw off the honey without disturbing them or he can close the entrance while he is taking the honey. It may be closed at night after the bees are all in, when there is little danger of being stung except by working the device at the wrong time or in the wrong way.

Since there is no patent on the invention as yet, anybody is at liberty to make one for himself, and use it without being disturbed except by the bees and he will find all danger of being stung is eliminated; and while he does not get comb honey it is a fine way to secure strained honey that he is satisfied is not adulterated — simply turn the crank a few times and open the faucet until the bucket is full; and if you get stung it is your own fault.

[Talk about "Bee Hash" honey! Considering the mangled bees and brood, such honey ought to have a "rich" flavor ; in fact, it ought to be the equal of any strained honey. — Ed.]

Gleanings in Bee Culture, January 1, 1916