From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 07:24:33 EDT
> From:    Mike Beluch <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Mann Lake Applies for Formic Acid Registration...
>
> FYI all you Bee-L'ers
>
> In the (United States) federal register dated Aug 6, 1996 (Volume 61,
> Number 152) pp 40840-40841 there is notice that:
>
> Mann Lake Ltd. of Hackensack, MN applied for a registration of
> "Formite Formic Acid", which has the active ingredient of formic acid
> at 65%. This application is for use in beehives against the tracheal
> mite....

This agrees with information I heard at a workshop I attended this past
weekend.  Note that the EPA registration for which Mann Lake has applied
is for "Formite Formic Acid", which is not the same formic acid that can
be purchased cheply at chemical and cleaning supply houses.  It is my
understanding that the delivery mechanism will be safer to the user
(beekeeper) than liquid formic acid.  If the application is approved,
the good news will be that a form of formic acid will be available to
US beekeepers.  The bad news will be that it will be a proprietary
product for which the consumer will have to pay for through the nose!

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!