From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2008 18:50:20 EDT

In a message dated 10/08/2008 18:20:43 GMT Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

I also  understand that although sweet corn may be
sprayed a few times with  insecticides, sweet corn
makes up only a tiny fraction of the corn acreage
grown in the Midwest, hence the vast majority of
the corn is never  sprayed.

"Corn" is a term that changes its meaning as it crosses the Atlantic. On
this (eastern) side the term is always applied to wheat specifically and in a
more general context it may be applied to similar- looking grasses such as oats
and barley.  Maize is usually referred to by the housewife as "sweet corn"
because that is how it is labelled on the greengrocer's counter although I
think  that by far the majority is used as a source of bulky food for winter feed
for  cattle.  So when you write that the majority of corn is never sprayed are
 you referring to maize or are you using the term in its wider sense to
include  all the types of grain listed?

While being open to correction, my understanding is that bees may sometimes
work wheat and the other corns either at extra floral nectaries that may
appear  following damage or collect honeydew from aphids.  In these instances they
may be vulnerable to sprays or other chemical methods used to combat the
aphids.

Chris