From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:48:59 -0500
Hello Allen and All,
> Rearranging brood nests after August is a prescription for hive death here
> in Alberta.  We have learned to leave them the way they are or lose the
> hives we have 'helped' while those we left 'unassisted' winter well.

I agree with Allen and should have added a time frame. I did my rearranging
about six weeks ago when our temps were in the mid 80's F. I would not
rearrange after the middle of September in our area. My bees have been ready
for winter for quite a while and strips come out this week.

> > One of the sites Allen listed to look at for winter information listed
> > around 25% winter losses with their methods.  I consider 25% to be
> > unacceptable.
>
> These are the facts of life in areas where the wintering season extends
from
> the end of September to the beginning of May and bees cannot be worked
> extensively during that time without risk of harm.
>
>  Some years losses can be as low as 6%, but  then again, other years can
>bring losses of up to 50%.

I will take 10-15% without a problem. After all if picked up in time all the
hives need is bees. 25% to 50% and I blame myself. Maybe I am to hard on
myself but with the close scrutiny I give my hives I see those numbers
unacceptable and very high.

> I've been to Missouri in Feb and March and thought it quite balmy.

Strange?  Perhaps you entered Missoura from the Kansas side bridge. The
State of Kansas built a bridge for its residents to go to Missoura. The sign
says "Bridge to Missoura"  The bridge goes to the center of the river and
turns around and goes back to Kansas.
(Joke from Red Skelton Show in the 70's).

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa,  Missouri