From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2016 23:26:00 +0100
>This subject has always been an interest for me.  Here's something I
wrote some years ago that I think might shed some light on the issue:
http://beekeep.info/a-treatise-on-modern-honey-bee-management/management-too
ls/smoking-bees-alarm-and-varroa-control/tao-of-smoking-bees/

I found that very interesting.  I have handled Africanised bees in Trinidad
and the whole apiary was certainly smoked very heavily before any hives were
opened.  I did not find that the bees were then particularly aggressive - I
have handled far worse in the UK - but they ran off the combs and boiled out
over the sides of the brood box; perhaps lighter smoking would have made it
easier to complete the inspection.

The two minute rule is a good one.  Although I do not usually use smoke if
checking colonies for super space, when inspecting the brood box I always
smoke the next colony before opening the one that I am working on.  I have
fully open mesh floors, so it is simply a matter of a couple of puffs of
smoke under the floor.

Smoke is then rarely required during the inspection, but if it is - perhaps
just to clear bees from the frame lugs, I like to think of 'pouring' the
smoke rather than 'puffing' it.  Often I let the smoke waft across the top
of the box by smoking lightly at the side and letting any breeze carry the
smoke over the tops of the frames.  If you want to find a queen then heavy
smoking almost guarantees failure.

I believe that the use of smoke is almost an art form, but I rarely see it
taught properly to beginners.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W