From:
Jorn Johanesson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 00:10:05 +0200
Oprindelig meddelelse -----
Fra: Rimantas Zujus <[log in to unmask]>
Til: <[log in to unmask]>
Sendt: 31. august 1999 09:23
Emne: Varroa-pilot

> Dear Beefriends
>
> I'd like to hear about your experience on Varroa spreading outside a hive.
> Many years ago I have read that Varroa mite being on a field bee travels
> together and on a blossom may change its host. This way mites infest another
> colonies. Having in my mind that drones are more attractive for mite
> breeding and drones enter every bee hive I caught an idea they should be
> more attractive for mite spreading out their hive.

It is more than so! Drones are observed travelling so far as 30 km and on their way have been welcomed in other apiaries on their way. So varroa spread more quick than most people think. This was observed by marking a hundred drones and then asking the beekeepers in the area to watch for those and then return their observations. It is not a scientific observation but more an practical experiment done in the first of the seventies when Varroa first was reported in Denmark

best regards

Jorn Johanesson

EDBi = multilingual Beekeeping software since 1987
http://home4.inet.tele.dk/apimo (Denmark)
http://apimo.dk (USA)