From:
Eric Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:01:28 -0400
What I meant to ask is whether we would have, prior to the arrival of SHBs
in the US, recognized and considered SHBs enough of a problem to think to
exclude them.  In other words, if something is a very minor or non-issue
in another country (IAPV in Australia, as another *hypothetical* example),
are we going to even think or try to protect ourselves from such things?
Are the costs of unknown, unanticipated problems factored into the cost-
benefit analysis of importing bees from other parts of the world, or would
that be considered unfair protectionism?  In order to be "fair," must we
turn a blind eye to the unknown risks we take by importing bees from other
parts of the world?  If so -- and I fear it's the case -- I think that's
just really stupid.