From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 15:31:06 -0600
Hello All,
Many of our past debates on *past* cell size ended up with the simple
statement which was put in most beekeeping publications of the time.
Four cells to the inch for drone brood and five cells to the inch for worker
brood.

After countless posts on BEE-L we finnaly decided that the best of our
estimates for cell size in foundation made in the time of Roy Grout could be
off by a mm.or possibly two  either way.

Today I have been going through old bee  magazines

In doing so I found an add run by Dadant company in 1948.

The slogan:

"In heat or cold the crimps will hold" (meaning the new crimp wired
foundation)

Also in the ad was the following:
"Ten inches of poor comb costs you fourteen thousand bees"

THEN THE PART MANY INTERESTED IN PAST CELL SIZE ON BEE-L WILL FIND
INTERESTING:

quote from 1948  Dadant advertisement for crimp wire foundation:

"With *twenty-three* worker cells to the *square inch* and six brood cycles
a year, ten square inches of poor comb may reduce the worker bee and harvest
count by fourteen hundred bees. A single comb with this much lost brood area
,used ten years -costs you fourteen thousand bees(April 1948 ad Dadant ).

Up until now none of us knew exactly which way Dadant measured back then so
we could determine the cell size which was sold by Dadant in Roy A. Grout's
time.

Can one of our math people figure the mm. cell size for the above "twenty
three cells to the square inch" and post the mm worker cell size sold by
Dadant in 1948 for the list?

Using the common scale of five cells to the inch published in The Hive and
The Honey Bee  and Abc & XYZ of the period we quickly see "five cells to the
inch" would produce 25 worker cells to the  square inch and not "23 cells to
the square inch".

Was the first change to larger cell size done with the advent of crimp wire
coundation?

Bob