From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:16:27 -0600
> > > Bee fat body protein levels increased with consumption of pollen
          ********
> > G Kleinschmidt (Australia) did work on this... "The level of body
> protein varied between 21% and 67% and was closely related to colony
> requirements... Management should be designed to reduce extreme
> fluctuations in body protein and to maintain it above 40% whenever
> possible."

I guess the point I thought Jim was making that the speaker seemed to be saying
that the protein was being stored in the body part called the _fat_ body,
whereas all the previous discussions here mentioned (I assume) *whole* body
protein assays.

I had somehow imagined the protein to be distributed through the body, and
perhaps the haemolymph, rather than stored in a specific organ.  Of course,
storage in the fat body does not preclude storage elsewhere.

I am realizing how totally ignorant I am about this.  The more I learn, the less
I know :(  I did a search for protein AND Australia at
http://listserv.albany.edu/archives/bee-l.html  and found more detailed
references to the article, as well as other discussion, including some in APIS.

I have some references here I got from my last IBRA search, and must get some of
the papers to read, methinks.  Inertia is a powerful influence, I am afraid.

allen
-----
See if your questions have been answered in over a decade of discussions.
BEE-L archives & more: http://listserv.albany.edu/archives/bee-l.html
Search sci.agriculture.beekeeping at http://www.deja.com/
or visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee to access both on the same page.