From:
Gerry Visel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:15:42 EST
On Wed, 26 Mar 1997 07:03:46 -0700 aarcher <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Dear Group,
>Are there any beekeepers out there who have pets ( cats and small dogs)
>that live near your apiaries.  How do they get along with the bees?
>
>What about getting an EPIPEN or injectable epinephrine for pets and
>domestic animals?

   Last month, our bee club had a doctor from the local hospital talk on
bee stings and Epipens and such, which he demonstrated (unloaded pen!)
Very interesting talk!

   Among his points:  most people who are "allergic" to stings are simply
experiencing the normal reaction to the chemicals in the sting venom.
This includes the local swelling, iching, and redness in the area of the
sting.  This is rarely serious or life-threatening unless it is in the
windpipe or some such place that can't stand the swelling.
Interestingly, benedryl (sp?) (my first aid remedy) was not known to
help.

  A small percentage (like three percent of the population?) have a more
serious reaction, where body parts away from the sting site react.

   He also noted that most people (even allergics) develop a natural
resistance with stings, and most who had serious reactions once do not
react so violently if stung again, as the immune system builds up.

   Although he didn't see much harm in having the Epipen handy, he hardly
thought many people had situations where it was really necessary.  (It
takes a doctor's prescription to get one, it is only good for a year or
so, and they cost $30+ each.)  For some, it's probably good insurance,
but most in our club (hobbyists and professionals alike,) didn't seem too
enthuesed.

   FWIW, we have lots of pets around the place, and the cats like to
chase bees, (till they catch one!) but they're back at it the next day.

Gerry and the other Visels at
Winnebago, Illinois, USA