From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:37:43 -0500
Allen is, of course (meaning that I have become used it), correct when
he says that use of formic acid in pads such as Mite-Away has variable
results.   But I note, and hereby point out to all, that Allen is not
claiming to have personally used the product. I also note that
Mite-Away's current product is MiteAway II, and is distinct from
MiteAway I, which failed to properly release the formic.  I wonder
which product Allen's aquaintences used?

However, I do not believe that anyone has ever implied that Mite-Away
is an appropriate product for all climate conditions.  I certainly did
not mean to.  I would also like to be clear that I do not have
anything other than a commercial relationship with the company or its
principals.

Given all that, Mite-Away was developed by a commercial beekeeper in
an area of Canada that experiences long, cold winters, a spring that
is so delayed it can sometimes be non existent, a warm intense few
weeks of summer, and an early frost date in the fall.  For the benefit
of those not familar with Eastern Canada and Western New York State,
these weather conditions are 'normal'.

However, there is a 'lake effect' geographic band along the western
end of Lake Erie, Eastern end of Lake Ontario, up into Canada for
perhaps 20 miles and down into New York for the same distance.  Along
this band, peaches, cherries, plums, and other semi-hardy fruits are
grown.  While this area often has bone chilling cold with wind effect
temperatures of 30 degrees below 0 (C or F), it also receives abundant
snow (200 inches is not uncommon).  Somehow all these factors combine
to result in a 'fruit belt' that is unique to the area.  This is NOT
the area where Mite-Away was developed.

In the icebox area where Mite-Away was developed and which is shared
by ourselves in upstate New York as well as Vermont, Maine, most of
New Hampshire, Nothern Michigan, etc., we reliabily have weather
conditions that may result in the Mite-Away product being effective.
I personally have little doubt that in areas with significantly warmer
temperatures Mite-Away will not be satisfactory.  The product
description (www.miteaway.com) says that three weeks of controlled
exposure is necessary in order to kill mites on bees as well as a
satisfactory number of mites emerging from brood.  Areas of the North
American continent and other international areas without similar
climate conditions are unlikely to have satisfactory results.

For wahtever it means, I did not try Mite Away until after first
checking with Medhat Nasr, a respected entomoligst who worked on the
product while he was in Eastern Canada, and hearing Nick Calderone
from Cornell express his view that the product would be very useful to
those of us in upstate NY.

Based on just one use, in the fall of 2004, and seeing my bees now
compared with how they were at this time in recent years, I am very
enthuastic.  Time will tell whether that enthuasism is justified.

There is another method of using formic in these hostile climates.
That is the 'flash' method.  You can learn more at
http://www.reineschapleau.wd1.net/index.html.  Jean-Paul is a
respected researcher.

As always, I hope these comments help those who aspire to become
better beekeepers or to otherwise improve their husbandry.

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.