From:
Vital Gaudreau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:18:11 -0400
Item 036750 dated 01/08/10 10:35
Re: Most durable paint for hives

Karen Oland wrote:

"Cedar might be toxic to the bees, but would keep out wax moths -
assuming you meant easter red cedar....."

I recall from an old beekeeper who used to put small fresh cedar branches
between supers to keep wax moths away from his supers during the whole
storage period right after extraction....supers were stored with some honey
remaining in it.

Could someone explain how this theory works(against wax moth)... or is it
one of those things again...? I am sure that quite a lot of beekeepers are
interested in keeping wax moths away from their frames.

Secondly, could you please also explain how cedar might be toxic to bees...
Many thanks

Vital Gaudreau
Sainte-Therese, Quebec, Canada