From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:36:28 -0500
Hello Roger & All,

I was not aware of any problems with the crack pipe method of OA treatment
or any serious problems with breathing OA but on another list many were
discussing the use of a respirator when doing a vapor treatment.

I was a lurker reading the information. I had never used OA.

Then the list got  input from two beekeepers from Germany. They said six
beekeepers which had been using OA for a long time contracted a rare form
of cancer and in fact died.

Like Roger some beekeepers on the list thought the beekeepers death was
only a coincidence.

I still would not apply OA vapor without a respirator.

There were many laughs at some of the crack pipe posts. Crude jokes by most
standards.

It seems other than working bees some beekeepers have been crack ( cocaine
in rock form) heads in a former life!

Example:

Friendly advice in one post was to

 "not use the same crack pipe to treat your bees with OA you smoke crack
with"

Another was to
 "make sure you blow into the pipe and not inhale."

un moderated lists go to strange places at times.

bob