From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2012 11:22:08 -0400
Randy writes:
> This is why I'm surprised that these recent studies are claimed by some as being anything new!

This topic was discussed on Bee-L at length in December of 2000. At the time a report was quoted as saying:

Recently, beekeepers in Spain, Italy, some states in the U.S.A. are
encountering problems that cannot be explained other than by sub-lethal
intoxication caused by Imidacloprid, very notably from maize treated with
"GAUCHO": bees harvest the pollen from maize plants.

To my knowledge, there have been few if any actual reports filed nor verification of actual loss due to this cause in US. We all know that corn seed dust is a problem, just like the old crop dusters. Bees should not be located adjacent to corn fields at planting time. If you do this, you are putting them in harm's way. Probably not a good idea to keep bees adjacent to corn at other times. In an area that is predominantly corn, honey bees would not be expected to do well, with or without seed treatment.

PLB