From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 17:35:16 -0800
Calkins, Rob wrote:

> I just check my hives today, as we had a break in the weather.  I found
> lots of dead bees around the hive and on the landing boards. There were
> also some dead bees inside the hive behind the entrance reducer.  While
> a few of the dead bees were drones, the majority of them were workers.
> Is this normal?  This cold spell was the first one of the season.  I
> know that the cluster will reduce in size and maybe the workers were
> carrying the dead bees away from the hive and that is why I found them
> up to five feet away?  Or maybe the turnover rate is that high and in
> the summer they are not as noticeable as when they are on the snow?  Any
> suggestions or comments would be appreciated.  I live in Boulder,
> Colorado and have treated with terramyacin (sp) and mineral oil in the
> fall.

Hi Rob,

        A few dead bees is normal but if there are hundreds in a continuous
layer from the entrance you may have a tracheal mite problem. This
symptom was common hear in NY a few years ago. The fall treatment of
mineral oil was too late to control t-mites. If it was earlier in the
year I would also suspect pesticide damage but I think its a bit late
for that.