From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:06:19 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Buck Rut
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>To help lessen
>the chance of an AHB drone inseminating a queen, they saturate the
>area with the Buckfast drones.  Many beekeepers in our area have
>noticed a marked increase in agression of the Buckfast hives.  I know
>from experience too.  I have a Buckfast hive I call the hive from hell!

We don't use Buckfasts, but I know a breeder in the UK who has fairly
recently given up on them, after breeding thousands over the years.

In my last conversation with him he described those available in recent
years as 'stapling the shirt to your back'. This is bred in a place
where there is absolutely NO chance of meeting your africanised bees
(southern England).

He is of the opinion that over the last few years, not just since the
departure of Bro. Adam, that the temperament of the strain has
deteriorated. This seems to parallel your experiences.

I have no first hand experience of this, but have no reason to
disbelieve him.

On the other hand, in discussions with several US beekeepers and
breeders, it seems that they are regarded as very special and are gentle
and productive.

During a visit to Denmark in September this year I had the pleasure of
handling the 'Buckfasts' of a local breeder there. They were so benign
and placid, yet still hard working. This is from a specially maintained
strain which has had no fresh input for several years (I think about 15
years), rather being inbred in Denmark.

This does tend to indicate that the Buckfast of today is not the same as
that of a decade or more ago. No-one has said that todays produce any
less honey though, so far as I am aware.

Kind regards

Murray
--
Murray McGregor