From:
Gerry Visel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 10:49:42 EST
On Sat, 9 Nov 1996 07:24:33 -0500 James D Satterfield
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Joe Hemmens wrote:
>
>> Dear Beekeepers
>>
>> I have a very interesting booklet by Robin Dartington called 'New
>> Beekeeping in a Long Deep Hive'.  He describes the design and
>> management of a hive based on 14" x 12" frames.
>
>Joe, with tbh's there are, of course, bars only... no frames.
>

>> However his management technique uses vertical supering which to my
>> mind rather spoils the simplicity offered by long hives.
>>

>I agree.

Joe, Jim, and all,

   I think I'd like to try some TBHs in the spring.  Let us know the url
when you get the pages together.  Include some artwork/pictures if you
can.  It sounds like you have some flexibility with dimensions.  What
works for you?  (Bar length, # of bars, depth, etc.)  I presume the bars
are rectangular cross section, and "self-spacing" (butting against each
other side by side?)

   Have you ever tried extracting a TBH "frame"?  My two framer has
expandded metal baskets that would probably do it fine.  The frames
aren't supporting anything then.

   I am corresponding with a beekeeper, Dr. Vladimir Obolonkin, from
Minsk, Belarus, who uses very large frames, and a very long hive body
which uses up to 24 frames, 25 cm wide x 41 cm deep (10 x 14 inches.)
They are thus tall, wide, and thin front-to-back, compared to
langstroths.

   He then supers on top of that with what sound like "regular" sized
supers.  (The extra HB width is covered with boards.)

   I guess I didn't expect a world standard, but this BEE-L sure brings
to light many (working) ways of doing the same thing.  (Ask five
beekeepers how to something, and get six ways to do it!)  And they all do
it that way because it works well for them!

   We can all learn...

   Thanks for sharing.

Gerry and the other Visels at
Winnebago, Illinois, USA