From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 17:29:08 +0100
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] writes
>If you ...........snip......... you have forgotten the chemistry you
should
>have learned in high school chemistry.

I have read all the posts on this subject that I still currently have on
my computer and nowhere can I see anyone having written anything which
suggests that there is an actual chemical difference between naturally
occurring and synthetically produced formic acid.

What was being discussed was the likelihood of it being an acceptable
organic treatment, and, despite the apparent lack of logic behind it, it
is quite possible that naturally occurring formic would be acceptable
and synthetically produced not. I am not a follower of the organic
movement, and will not pay extra for these goods, but I have had a
prolonged brush with a certification body appointed by a retailer
seeking to establish whether we could become an organic producer. Some
of their needs are a bit odd and self contradictory, including the
distinction between natural and synthetic origin inputs (be they
nutrients or treatments or whatever) regardless of whether they happen
to be chemically identical.

Whilst on the subject of chemistry, it is quite possible for natural and
synthetic versions of many molecules to be chemically identical and yet
operate differently. It is left and right handedness that is behind this
(I think the word is chirene or kyrene, not sure how to spell it).
Natural versions are normally created in one version only, as that is
the way that the biological systems work, but synthetic versions can be
a random mix. This is getting way off topic and way way off my area of
knowledge (there will be far better informed folks reading this), but
this problem can occur. Whether it can happen in Formic acid, and
whether it would make any difference to its action, I do not know. (I
suspect not on both counts)
--
Murray McGregor