From:
Keith Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:09:22 -0400
Bill Truesdell wrote:
> Keith Benson wrote:
>> It must be terribl;e to be one of those 15%, especially when it is so
>> easily preventable.
>>

> I agree, but the fatality rate for infant botulism is less than 1% in
> the USA, so even if you get it you have a better chance of survival
> than most hospitalization causes.

I know - but it often entails a hospital stay, an infant in distress and
some pretty scared parents.  Oh, and infant ICU cases are insanely
expensive.

It is ridiculously easy to avoid those cases caused by honey by simply
not feeding kids <1 yr old honey.  There are lots of things that sicken
and kill infants that would not make it on those lists, but this one is
wasy to avoid.  Maybe I am risk aversive when it comes to my kids.  Call
me crazy.

I look at it this way - my kids will have plenty of time to enjoy my
honey from 1 year of age and older.  If there was a huge benefit to
feeding an infant honey to balance it against that would be one thing,
but there isn't.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_825.html

some interesting factoids from this article:  "it has been suggested as
the cause of death in up to 10% of SIDS
<http://www.DrGreene.com/21_509.html> cases (/Nelson/ /Textbook of
Pediatrics/; Saunders 1992)."

"When infant botulism is diagnosed, the average Intensive Care Unit stay
for the baby is about one month, typically including mechanical
ventilation and continuous tube feedings. This is followed by another 2
weeks on the hospital ward, with a total hospital cost often exceeding
$100,000 (/Pediatrics/; Feb 1991). "

So why risk it?

Keith