From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2012 08:00:37 -0400

> accoriding to two former N.Y. inspectors that I have contact with, a bee inspector if he finds a problem/problems in my yard, can't notify other beeks in my area, thats there standing orders.  So I have high varroa and nosema what is/can he do about it and my neighbors are not informed.   so the service except for afb would be useless.
I agree, and that's one of the issues I have with NYS. The beekeeper who
accused me of moving a nuc yard in on top of his 10 colonies, and
causing their collapse, couldn't understand why I didn't stay away.
Well, his hives are hidden in the woods, and NYS won't make the apiary
registration maps available to anyone wanting to locate new apiaries.
The Vermont inspection service has all but disappeared, but at least
beekeepers have access to the apiary maps so they can make an informed
decision as to where or where not to locate their new apiaries.
> As to Mike Palmers complaint, N.Y. is inspecting his hives in N.Y. at my expense, but they won't inspect mine and I foot the bill(but really ok with me as I lost more time waiting for them than the service provided me).

I'm easy. I mean, I welcome and allow the NY inspectors to run their
sampling program in my apiaries. They really only look at a few...3
colonies in each apiary for AFB, and take a composite sample of 3
colonies for nosema. They can sample a wide area of the county, as I
have more than 20 apiaries spread out over the area.
>   As to Penn. I have been told that they have two inspectors, funded from the ash borer testing fund, the one that inspected hives had no beekeeping experience but got the job because they were part of the ash borer research so I'm not sure how much of a service they could provide, but they were very interested in the bees.

  Well, I don't know how they fund the program, but I think there are
more than 2 inspectors. I spoke at the PA state meeting last November.
Someone gave a PP presentation showing a map with PA broken into
regions. Each region had an inspector. There must have been 5 or 6 faces
taped to that map. One of the new inspectors, Pat, worked for me from
2005-2007. He certainly has the knowledge to be a good inspector.

Mike