From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2011 17:32:39 +0000
Hi Randy and All

> Chlorpyrifos was the most common ag pesticide found,  just below
> the frequency of beekeeper applied miticides.  The high level
> for chlorpyrifos was 890 ppb.

This something that puzzled me.  The hives tested by Penn State had alarming
levels of the two miticides, fluvalinate and coumaphos.  The mean level of
fluvalinate in wax  was recorded as about half of the LD50, even though US
beekeepers had apparently moved on from that particular pesticide some years
before.  The lowish levels and low frequencies of all but one other pesticide
were no doubt mostly from farm operations.  However chlorpyriphos was up there
with the miticides.  Why?

This report, on p8, reveals that chlorpyriphos is used around and even on hives
to control fire ants:

http://gallus.tamu.edu/library/extpublications/B-1536.PDF

So is that it, all three of the big contaminants were put there by the
beekeepers?  Happy to be corrected by those who know ...

all the best

Gavin