From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2017 22:28:42 -0400
THE USES AND ABUSES OF BEE LITERATURE

I do not take up this subject by way of criticism of the matter and methods, or management of the present day bee literature, nor would I for a moment presume to teach or instruct its leaders. My object is to place before you, as clearly as I can, the fact of its importance, and of your responsibility in relation to it as individuals, and as an Association.

We live in an age of literature, and, whether in the form of newspaper, magazine, book or pamphlet, it wields a mighty influence over the individual and community in the moulding of opinion, the formation of character, the disposition of lives and the regulation of action; helping or hindering, making or marring, all with whom it comes in con tact. This is true of all literature, whatever may be the purpose of its issue.

Bee literature in its various forms has taken is place amongst the literatures of the world, and, like the others which have preceded it, will help or hinder the cause it represents. By means of convention reports your debates and discussions are being put into permanent and indelible form to be circulated; hence, the necessity of your careful consideration of every new theory, scheme and invention, before being stamped with your approval. The opinion or ruling of one man is a dangerous thing…

The bee-keeping public look to the bee press for reliable information ; they expect it to come from the very best and highest authorities in beedom. Unfortunately many of our intelligent and successful bee men are inclined, whether from modesty or policy, to be very reserved in expression of opinion and giving information. Let us rather believe it is from modesty. Bee-keepers are surely too broad-minded for us to attribute this failing to a meaner reason.

By W. J. CRAIG, Brantford.
BEE-KEEPERS’ ASSOCIATION OF THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO
1900 ANNUAL REPORT