From:
Christine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:15:13 -0000
From: "Aaron Morris" The GMO thread is a prime example of straying off
topic.

The reports on the field scale tests of GM maize, OSR (canola) and sugar
beet are definately of interest to beekeepers. The trials were the largest
ever conducted (so we are told) to check consequences on the environment
thru gene escape and on wildlife.  Apparently gene flow was not considered
serious but in both OSR and sugar beet the numbers of wild flowers were
strongly reduced (by the herbicide regime) with consequential effects on
bees and other insects, consequently on wild seed production, consequently
on bird populations.  No decisions have yet been made by UK gov but the
media expect a ban on those GM crops on environmental grounds.
This is not to imply that UK is happy with GM in every other way - we are
deeply suspicious with tampering with food here - partly due to BSE caused
by feeding cattle sheep brains on the 'scientific' advice that would make
more money for farmers, but which has condemned (as yet unknown) numbers of
people to a horrible premature death.
The wildlife argument against GM seems a little strange, even to someone
like me.  If culturing GM plants reduces food for bees/wildlife, on those
grounds  ought we not to regulate the ratio of field margin to crop needed
to maintain a balance,  rather than applying an outright ban?  Of course,
the grounds for outright ban do exist in the paucity of research into risks
to human health, considering that in UK 40% of people are overweight and the
overproduction of food is such that farmers have to be paid to leave fields
empty - so there is no need to rush into GM here to conquer famine or even
to lower food prices.  Less production, higher quality and higher prices
would bring benefits to public health thru trimming consumption - as in
other 'advanced' countries.

Robin Dartington