From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 22:39:37 -0500
Hello Joe & All,

>"Determination of oxalic acid and other organic acids
in honey and in some anatomic structures of bees"

<http://www.apidologie.org/index.php?
option=article&access=standard&Itemid=129&url=/articles/apido/pdf/2003/02/M
3201.pdf>

I think the last paragraph gives insight into the way OA kills varroa. Which
I never quite understood before. I take away from the following paragraph
from the article that perhaps some internal damage might happen as we are
using oa to kill the pest without hopefully no damage to the host.

" After topical administration ,there is an interval of time in which the oa
concentration in internal organs of the bee increases. This demonstrates
that,when hives are treated against varroa ,oa penetrates through the bee
Keratin and can produce the toxic effect"

The above toxic effect means to me toxic to the varroa. Also explains to me
why when people use OA the varroa drop happens later and not in the first
say 24 hours.

Hopefully we will learn a great deal from current CCD research about our
bees in many areas!

Interesting stuff Joe! Thanks for the post!
Bob

"Beekeeping is both simple and complicated at the same time"

--
believed to be clean.