From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2013 08:07:28 -0500
Humankind has had phenomenal success with the selection and breeding of plants and animals. At the same time, we have been challenged by the ability of nature to evolve and in many cases outcompete us in our efforts to produce crops, eradicate disease and protect the environment. It's easy to say: "we need to work with nature, in harmony with nature" etc. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as nature as a guiding force. The natural world is the sum of countless competing entities. Sure, there are many astonishing examples of cooperation in nature, but in the end individuals tend to group together and cooperate for the purposes of self protection, self preservation, etc. against competition.

Relevant excerpt:
> The study of evolution, which in the past was often equated with changes in gene frequencies in populations, has become more holistic and integrative. Researchers are increasingly interested in exploring how interactions among genes, individuals, and environments have shaped the evolutionary process, both at micro- and macrolevels. At the same time, large challenges such as global warming, novel infectious diseases, and threats to biodiversity are increasing, and  the opportunity for evolutionary gists to contribute to their resolution has never been greater.

> Realizing the full potential inherent in evolutionary biology is, however, far from assured. The task of integrating evolutionary knowledge within and across scales of biological organization, as discussed above, requires development of many comparative databases and analytical tools. We would do well to collaborate broadly, cultivating new expertise, and to watch out for the unexpected, as analyses of new kinds of data can reveal that preconceptions are unfounded.

> Because most of our science is supported by limited public funds, evolutionary biologists and ecologists should support and participate in efforts to help the public understand the issues and the value of scientific understanding. Science in general and evolutionary science in particular are often politicized, exactly because of their fundamental importance to human society. The next 20 years hold the promise of a golden age for evolutionary biology. Whether we realize that promise depends in part on how effectively we communicate that message.

Losos JB, Arnold SJ, Bejerano G, Brodie ED III, Hibbett D, et al. (2013) Evolutionary Biology for the 21st Century.
PLoS Biol 11(1): e1001466. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.1001466
Published January 8, 2013