From:
CSlade777 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 19:12:27 EDT
Dear Tom,
I am glad you listen to Radio 4. Its the best.  In reciprocation, I used to
have one of my car radio buttons tuned to RTE.  I must have been in the shower
when this item was broadcast as I missed it.  However it is on page 20 of
today's Times (April 9th).
The problem is alleged to be caused by an insecticide produced by Bayer and
applied to protect sunflowers from parasites. The chemical, Gaucho, is based
on imidaclopride which acts on the nervous system of a wide variety of pests
including wireworms and aphids.  The signs are that bees become disorientated
and fail to return to the hive after gathering nectar and pollen from
sunflowers.  The problem has occurred in west and central France.
Apologies to North American readers for the strongly European flavour of this
post.
Chris Slade