From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:29:37 -0500
Bill T
<According to the French, fipronil has the same effect on bees behavior(disorientation) that the neonics have.   As more ... pesticides are studied, they also have the same effect ...depending on concentration (as was studied on Almondpesticides).Before, we did not really look at what happens to bees at low toxicity levels of pesticides. Why bother since we were mostly interested in LD forobvious reasons.>

I agree with Bill, with a couple of clarifications.  The fipronil in beetle traps came out of a set of studies conducted in Australia, funded by the government (as I understand).  Fibronil turned out to be deadly to beetles.  It's use is predicated on using a trap that doesn't release the chemical into the hive - beetles go in, don't come out.  In theory, everything - fibronil, beetles are confined to the one-way traps - bees have no contact.

That begs the question of why use fibronil.  Passive traps can be reasonably effective, and the Australian's also use dessicants like diatomaceous earth in traps.  These also increase beetle knock-down.  And then there's always the diatomaceous earth on the soil in front of the hives and chickens to eat beetles.

As per not looking at older pesticides at low toxicity levels - granted, there wasn't as much emphasis, but there were studies, and these effects are mentioned and discussed in Johansen and Mayers book.  We've just FORGOTTEN.